|“Every one of these stories is brimming with passion for pilgrimage, the journey grounded in spiritual wonder.”
—Phil Cousineau, from the IntroductionToday, more people are embarking on pilgrimages than at any time since the Middle Ages. And these journeys take on a multitude of forms: traditional and unconventional, religious and secular, intended and accidental. Just as people are drawn toward this spiritual travel, so are they drawn to the need for stories from others, tales that unveil these journeys of the soul. Pilgrimage: Adventures of the Spirit gathers twenty of the best and most varied pilgrim stories, from some of today’s finest writers. In Pilgrimage, readers will:
- Travel to the sacred Hawaiian island of Mo’okini with James D. Houston and celebrate the “place within each of us where the universe resides”.
- Wander with Nicholas Shrady through Buddha’s old stomping ground in India, where the Buddhist path is also trod by bandits.
- Recall a time when women’s wisdom ruled the world at the goddess site of Glastonbury, England with Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D.
- Marvel at the unity of all life with Rabbi David A. Cooper in holy Jerusalem.
- Walk the Road to Santiago in Spain with Jack Hitt and face the perils of dogs, lightening, and the bounds of your own sanity.
- Journey to sacred New Mexican soil with Ann Hood, as she searches for a miracle for her dying father.As the travelers in this collection attest, the pilgrimage represents a model for all journeys. These tales clearly reveal both the inner and outer nature of the spiritual journey. Including a comprehensive recommended reading list,Pilgrimage will inspire and enrich all readers.Praise for Pilgrimage:
“This magnificent collection should be found at the crossroads of every seeker’s soul. Its words carry us along the path in ever richer and deeper tones.”
-Steve Zikman, author of The Power of Travel
About the editors
Sean O’Reilly has co-edited numerous books in the Travelers’ Tales series, including Danger!, Testosterone Planet, The Road Within, France, Paris, Hong Kong, and San Francisco. He lives in Peoria, Arizona with his family.
James O’Reilly has worked as a series editor on over forty Travelers’ Tales titles, winning nine awards for excellence. James writes a syndicated newspaper column with Larry Habegger, “World Travel Watch,” which has appeared since 1985 in major newspapers in five countries. James lives with his family in the San Francisco Bay Area.
About Travelers’ Tales
Founded in 1993, Travelers’ Tales publishes the best in travel and spiritual writing from world-famous authors as well as new writers. Our goal is to inspire and enlighten readers through true stories by travelers who have explored the depths of their experiences. The series includes: country and regional guides; books on adventure and the outdoors, women’s travel, spirituality, food, trouble and survival, and travel advice; and Footsteps: The Soul of Travel, a series that features single-author travel narratives. In Fall, 2000, Travelers’ Tales launchesTravelers’ Tales Classics, a new series which introduces out-of-print favorites of travel literature to a whole new audience.
# # #
Pilgrimage: Adventures of the Spirit
Edited by Sean O’Reilly and James O’Reilly
Introduction by Phil Cousineau
Travelers’ Tales, October, 2000
$16.95 ($26.00 Canada), trade paperback, 304 pages, 5 1/8″ x 8″