When traveling in “Third World” countries, always keep a copy of the U.S. Embassy’s phone number with your passport. If you are injured and need emergency help, asking local people who don’t speak English to “call the American Embassy” without providing a phone number will usually produce no results and waste precious time. Consular officials can be instrumental in securing assistance in an emergency.